03 June 2015

Breakfast of champions

I understand Grand Cru Beers pulled off a bit of a coup, acquiring quite a lot of Founders's annual release of KBS ("Kentucky Breakfast Stout", though it doesn't say that on the label) for Ireland. At €8 for a little bottle I wasn't in much of a hurry to try it, but it was getting lots of good feedback and, since there didn't seem to be any shortage, I eventually succumbed.

It's 11.2% ABV and every bit as dense as that strength implies, pouring out black and silky, in no rush to form a head, though it eventually does. "Chocolate and coffee, aged in oak bourbon barrels" says the label, and the aroma repeats this verbatim: there's the oily and earthy roasted coffee bean; there's the chocolate bar with a large percentage number on the packaging; and there's the boozy vanilla wood of the whisky. No surprises here.

And it's the bourbon in the driving seat on tasting: there's lots of that signature sour-mash lime flavour and a kind of hazel nuttiness from the oak. The coffee is present but muted and the chocolate is all but gone. Disappointingly, it doesn't really taste of anything else. The mouthfeel is rather thin and the finish is short. I expected much more complexity, and some decent hop character (it's 70 IBUs!), but it all seems to have been drowned by the added goop.

Far be it from me to try and stifle anyone's creativity, but maybe less is more when it comes to double-digit ABV imperial stouts.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:29 pm

    Shame. i guess i will have to save my money and not bother with this one. Founders is usually a safe bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found the darker and stronger ones, like this, definitely lagging behind their bright and hoppy beers.

      Delete
  2. Think I'll open mine soon then. I do adore the ordinary imperial stout from Founders, maybe if the KBS was to lose some of its K over time it would be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't be the first time I've been down on a beer simply because I opened it too early.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:46 pm

    Been very disappointed with most of the Founders beers I've tried especially their Breakfast Stout.
    I would love to see some Great Divide stuff back to these shores.Their Smoked Baltic Porter was something special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgive most things of the people who make All-Day IPA. Dark Penance is world class too, IMO. That Great Divide one was superb though.

      Delete